What is the best waterproof mascara?
Let’s say you’ve planned a day at the beach with some friends. You still want to look good, even though you’ll be out in the hot sun and splashing the waves, right? You’re going to need the best waterproof mascara you can find.
What is waterproof mascara?
Mascara is probably the most essential item in your makeup bag. It adds length and volume to your lashes, boosting the beauty of your eyes. Waterproof mascara lets you go swimming, stays put in a rainstorm and makes you feel confident. You won’t have to worry about your makeup even if you’re touched by emotion and drop a few tears.
Types of waterproof mascara
There are two types of mascara: oil-based and water-based. Almost all waterproof mascara is oil-based, as the oil is what gives its’ staying power, even when it comes in contact with water. Water-based waterproof mascara is not as long-lasting, and can be removed with hot water. Removing oil-based waterproof mascara requires a product specifically designed for waterproof mascara removal.
One of the most convenient removal options is a disposable makeup removing wipe. You can also use a special liquid, an oil-based makeup remover. This is available from many different cosmetic companies, and can be found at either a drugstore, a department store or online. You simply use the product to dampen a tissue, or cotton ball, and gently rub the mascara off.
Advantages of waterproof mascara
There are several advantages to choosing waterproof mascara. It’s very easy to apply; it goes on just like washable mascara. The great thing about waterproof mascara is that you can put it on once, and not worry about it again, until you’re ready to take it off. No matter what your day throws at you, you can at least be assured that your mascara isn’t going to smudge, run or disappear.
Waterproof mascara is perfect for those big life events, where you know there might be tears: your sister’s wedding, your grandfather’s funeral, your best friend’s baby shower or your child’s first dance recital. When you’re experiencing those huge moments in life, you want to be able to cry on your mom’s shoulder, without giving a single thought to the way your mascara looks. A hot summer day is a good time for waterproof mascara: even if you feel as if you’re melting, your mascara will stay in place.
You’re also going to want a really good waterproof mascara if you’re doing physical activities. This includes activities in which you might get wet. Most waterproof mascaras are designed for “normal” wear – they resist tears and regular sweat. But if you are looking for a mascara that stays on while playing sports, when you’re out on a bike, or doing your daily jogg around the block, then you need a mascara with staying power. The biggest challenge for a mascara, is to resist to the water in the swimming pool. Even the strongest oil-based mascaras can flake, smudge or just get damaged in the water when you’re swimming.
When not to use waterproof mascara
If you have sensitive eyes or skin, waterproof mascara may not be for you. Generally, water-based, washable mascara is made with gentler ingredients, that won’t irritate sensitive skin. Another time that waterproof mascara may not be the best choice, is when you need to be able to quickly and easily remove the mascara. Waterproof mascara is a little bit harder to take off than the washable kind. Remember, if a mascara is designed to stay on, it will cling to your lashes forever. You will need a little quiet time to get it off completely. Since it’s your eyes we are talking about, think about their safety, and don’t rush things if you don’t have to.
5 steps to find the best waterproof mascara
There are a few ways you can go about finding a mascara that works best for you. First, you can ask your friends what they are wearing. This should give you a starting point. You can look at the products in the stores, maybe get a sample or two of the products that get your attention. Of course, the aim is always to try them on and see if they fit your purposes.
- Step 1. Somebody who works in an office may need a waterproof mascara that is easy to wipe off when they finish. Some women may go swimming during their lunch break. They may not want to spend time getting the mascara off, then back on again, during the short time they have. So, your first point is to decide, what kind of mascara you need. Is it a hardcore waterproof one, or do you go for one that is easier to handle. Write it down onto a piece of paper.
- Step 2. If your close friends don’t use the waterproof mascaras, you can always ask around on the internet. There are lots of popular forums for mums, beauty forums, etc. If you have a Facebook account, your next status message could be: “Desperately seeking a perfect waterproof mascara. What do you use?” and then just wait for the answers to pour in.
- Step 3. Then, the “fun” starts. You will have to find your product, read the reviews, decide if they sound genuine, and see if this is the product for you. If not, the “fun” continues. By the time you read the fifth review, you forget what you’re looking for. This is when you look for your piece of paper. Check again what it is you need. Make a note of your top three products, then head for the shops. Let’s hope you find them quickly.
- Step 4. Or not. Since this is the internet, and everything is possible, you don’t need to go through all of the above. We have collected the best waterproof mascaras that our friends use, in a handy table below. This has the name, the effect, the level of waterproofing, and a general outline of what reviewers think of these products. Check it out, see if you can find the one that fits all your needs. And then, you can just order it right away.
- Step 5. Now, if everything went well, this is the enjoyable part of the process. Buy or borrow one of these movies. Apply the mascara, then get your girls together and get the tissues ready. Put the movie on, and let yourself get carried away. At the end don’t forget to check your mascara. If it survives, you have a winner.
The five best waterproof mascaras from the drugstore
1. Maybelline New York Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Waterproof Mascara
This waterproof mascara has a special, tiny brush to allow you to really define each and every one of your lashes without any smudging or flaking.
2. CoverGirl LashBlast Waterproof Volume Mascara
If you’re looking for full, voluminous lashes that will stay gorgeous even in the water, this is a great choice.
3. L’Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Waterproof Mascara
This is absolutely the best waterproof mascara for making you look like you have the eyelash extensions of a movie star, and it’s conveniently available at the drugstore. This formula gives you glamorous eyes without having to deal with false lashes.
4. Revlon Lash Potion by Grow Luscious Volume + Length Waterproof Mascara
This waterproof formula gives you soft lashes with beautiful length and noticeable volume.
5. Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Waterproof
Just like a pair of stilettos gives your legs definition and length, this mascara does the same for your lashes. Your lashes will be beautifully long and sexy.
The five best department store waterproof mascaras
1. MAC False Lashes Waterproof Mascara
If you’re looking for a high-impact mascara that gives your lashes that gorgeous false eyelash look, go for this formula by MAC.
2. Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara by Urban Decay
This mascara is the ultimate choice for swimming, boating, or spending a hot day on the golf course. It will stay put no matter what activities you have planned.
3. Lancome Hypnose Star Waterproof 24-Hour Mascara
This is a long-lasting waterproof mascara with a punch of star power.
4. Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara
This is a beautiful, all-around mascara that will make sure you don’t look anything like a raccoon.
5. Lancome Definicils Waterproof Mascara
Lancome Definicils is one of the best-loved department store mascaras. It will stay in place and give each and every one of your lashes the definition it deserves, even if you can’t stop the tears at one of life’s greatest moments.